Balsamic Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 2 tablespoons sauce: 182 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 16, 2018
I made this tonight. It got rave reviews all the way around. I did add carrots and potatoes to roast as well. The kitchen smelled amazing! I'll definitely be keeping this in my rotation to cook again!
May 4, 2017
This is a favorite at my house. I make it often. The chickens are so economical and the flavor is very special and tasty.
Feb 6, 2017
A classic dinner, great for any holiday especially!
Jan 23, 2017
Very good.. I used chicken [email protected]
Jan 21, 2017
Moist and tasty! Made as-is and would not recommend any changes.
May 5, 2015
I used a 4-1/2 lb chicken and made it as is except for cooking it in an oven bag. It came out very moist and was done in 1-3/4 hours. The next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit and not use so much red onion. I thickened the sauce w/ cornstarch and added more low sodium chicken broth. It was tastier the next day and I would make again.
Oct 13, 2014
Very tasty. The balsamic gives the broth a wonderful flavor, and the chicken was moist. I chose to add potatoes and carrots to the broth, around the chicken in the roasting pan. Turned out great... meal & sides all in one pot.
Jan 1, 2014
Delicious. I used brandy (because that was all I had) with the balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful. I think a hearty Burgundy would be even better. Have added to my "Company's Coming" cookbook.
Dec 30, 2013
AMAZING! Turned out beautifully . Very tasty .
Aug 12, 2013
This roast chicken is the best we had ever eaten. The chicken is very tasty and the onion gravy is so delish. my families can't stop raving about it. Thank you Tracy for sharing it.