Balsamic Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 2 tablespoons sauce: 182 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
May 29, 2019
This chicken is delicious! I combined all the ingredients (cutting back on the salt, pepper, and onions) and used it as a marinade for boneless skinless chicken breast pieces. After 8 hours in the refrigerator, my husband grilled the chicken to perfection! Although I still want to try this recipe with a roasting chicken, we thought the grilled chicken was great and will definitely make it again!
Jan 16, 2018
I made this tonight. It got rave reviews all the way around. I did add carrots and potatoes to roast as well. The kitchen smelled amazing! I'll definitely be keeping this in my rotation to cook again!
May 4, 2017
This is a favorite at my house. I make it often. The chickens are so economical and the flavor is very special and tasty.
Feb 6, 2017
A classic dinner, great for any holiday especially!
Jan 23, 2017
Very good.. I used chicken broth.
Jan 21, 2017
Moist and tasty! Made as-is and would not recommend any changes.
May 5, 2015
I used a 4-1/2 lb chicken and made it as is except for cooking it in an oven bag. It came out very moist and was done in 1-3/4 hours. The next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit and not use so much red onion. I thickened the sauce w/ cornstarch and added more low sodium chicken broth. It was tastier the next day and I would make again.
Oct 13, 2014
Very tasty. The balsamic gives the broth a wonderful flavor, and the chicken was moist. I chose to add potatoes and carrots to the broth, around the chicken in the roasting pan. Turned out great... meal & sides all in one pot.
Jan 1, 2014
Delicious. I used brandy (because that was all I had) with the balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful. I think a hearty Burgundy would be even better. Have added to my "Company's Coming" cookbook.
Dec 30, 2013
AMAZING! Turned out beautifully . Very tasty .