Balsamic Orzo with Broccoli
What would a meal be without a tasty and colorful veggie side dish? This one, packed with nutrients and flavor, goes perfectly alongside a Christmas entree. —Gail Zimcosky, Strongsville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place broccoli in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with seasoning blend. Toss to coat. Roast 12-14 minutes or until broccoli is tender and begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Add orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-9 minutes or until orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally. Remove 1/3 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Drain orzo, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add red pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Add vinegar and reserved cooking liquid; cook until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat. Add broccoli; stir to coat. Stir in orzo; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.