Balsamic Orzo with Broccoli
What would a meal be without a tasty and colorful veggie side dish? This one, packed with nutrients and flavor, goes perfectly alongside a Christmas entree. —Gail Zimcosky, Strongsville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place broccoli in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with seasoning blend. Toss to coat. Roast 12-14 minutes or until broccoli is tender and begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Add orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-9 minutes or until orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally. Remove 1/3 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Drain orzo, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add red pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Add vinegar and reserved cooking liquid; cook until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat. Add broccoli; stir to coat. Stir in orzo; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Orzo Pasta with Broccoli and Red Peppers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016