Balsamic Grilled Vegetable and Barley Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, salt and 1/4 cup vinegar. Add yellow squash, zucchini and tomatoes; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and remaining vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard thyme and rosemary; set glaze aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, drain vegetables and discard marinade. Place vegetables in a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently and brushing occasionally with glaze.
- 5. Remove barley from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Add vegetables and basil; toss to coat. Serve warm with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
3/4 cup: 145 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.