Balsamic Grilled Vegetable and Barley Salad
Add an unexpected taste to grilled vegetables with a glaze made with balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs and some honey and brown sugar. The fabulous veggies are paired with barley to make a healthy and deletable side.—Carly Curtin, Ellicott City, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a large shallow dish, combine the oil, salt and 1/4 cup vinegar. Add yellow squash, zucchini and tomatoes; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and remaining vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard thyme and rosemary; set glaze aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, drain vegetables and discard marinade. Place vegetables in a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently and brushing occasionally with glaze.
- Remove barley from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Add vegetables and basil; toss to coat. Serve warm with a slotted spoon.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.