Balsamic-Glazed Onions and Garlic
Balsamic vinegar and a hint of garlic give these pearl onions lots of bold flavor, which makes this is an ideal side dish for steak or grilled chicken. Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 large whole garlic bulbs
- 1 pound fresh pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Remove papery outer skin from garlic; separate into cloves. Boil garlic and onions for 3 minutes; drain and rinse in cold water. Cool. Peel garlic and onions; place in a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add oil and butter and toss to coat.
- Combine the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over onion mixture and stir to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until garlic and onions are tender and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring every 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 95 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Balsamic-Glazed Baby Onions and Garlic in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.