Balsamic Braised Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan.
- 2. Add celery, carrots and onion to the pan; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until fragrant. Add turnips, sweet potato and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, vinegar and herbs. Return roast to pan; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove beef and vegetables; keep warm. Discard herbs from cooking juices; skim fat. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounces cooked beef with 1 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup gravy: 405 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Balsamic Braised Pot Roast
"For Two (with some adjustments):brown chuck, both sides, under broiler, saute vegetables for about 8 minutes in large pot, add liquid and browned meat on top of sauted vegetables. Cook 325 for 3 hours. All of the liquid had evaporated after 3 hours so watch your oven pot during the last hour of cooking.Chuck: 1/2 lb chuck.Vegetables: 8oz mushrooms sliced, 1/2 onion diced, 8 baby carrots whole, 2 stalks celery diced, 5 garlic cloves sliced.Liquid: I cup water with 1 teaspoon beef bouillon, 4 Tablespoons white wine, 1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Served with rolls if you want a carbohydrate. Pass Horseradish Cream: 3 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream and 2 teaspoons Golds prepared Horseradish. We have added this to our rotation."
"We did NOT like this. The balsamic vinegar made everything way too sweet. I should have known better than to put in the full 1/2 cup that was called for. Disappointed..."
"It had me at balsamic vinegar. What a delicous and temder roast. I never can get my husband to eat sweet potatoes unless they are with this dish."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. I added some fresh mushrooms and baby red potatoes. The next time I might cut down on the balsamic by just a smidge. I will make this recipe many times over."
"I loved it, but my kids did not like it at all. I thought it had really good flavor and loved the sweet potatoes in it. I doubled the sweet potato and didn't use any turnips."
"Good twist to a traditional classic! My husband really liked the sweet potato addition. One thing I changed was I slow cooked this recipe in the crock pot for 8 hours on low."
"This recipe was nasty. Nobody ate it will never make this again."
"I am making this recipe for the 5th time since the October issue--oh yea!!!Four different groups of eaters have rated it outstanding. I have used wine-usually a cab or merlot-each time, but today I will only use broth. I have substituted parsnips for the turnips 3 times. I think the balsamic really gives it that special flavor. Last time I cooked it almost twice as long on the stove; I also tripled the thyme (accidently spilled). It was the best ever--maybe sweeter? That may have been due to the longer reduction of liquid. This recipe is my new "company's coming" favorite!"
"This was the best pot roast I have ever made. It was tender and flavorful. I substituted dried sage leaves, estimating the amount. It worked out fine. Definitely a keeper recipe."
"Outstanding! I made this last night - the beef came out tasty and tender - loved it!"