In need of a sweet treat that I could prepare ahead and freeze, I streamlined and modified a recipe that I found on a website. The rounds are like mini baklavas were a big hit at the elegant tea I catered for a Christmas gathering several years ago.—Meta West, Abilene, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- PHYLLO DOUGH:
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch sheet size)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- Pulse first six ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Repeat with two more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 1/3 cup nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; brush roll with butter. Trim edges. Cut into 16 slices about 3/4 in. each. Place cut side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Repeat layering and rolling with remaining phyllo, butter and nut mixture. Bake 10 minutes. Gently turn cookies over; bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks over waxed paper.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring sugar, water and orange peel to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 30-35 minutes. Strain and discard peel. Spoon half of syrup over cookies. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining syrup. Cool completely.
To Make Ahead: Prepare as directed. Freeze in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Once frozen, package in freezer bags, separating layers with waxed paper. Thaw in a single layer before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 132 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Phyllo Rounds in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.