VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- PHYLLO DOUGH:
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch sheet size)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- Pulse first six ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Repeat with two more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 1/3 cup nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; brush roll with butter. Trim edges. Cut into 16 slices about 3/4 in. each. Place cut side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Repeat layering and rolling with remaining phyllo, butter and nut mixture. Bake 10 minutes. Gently turn cookies over; bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks over waxed paper.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring sugar, water and orange peel to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 30-35 minutes. Strain and discard peel. Spoon half of syrup over cookies. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining syrup. Cool completely. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Baklava Rounds in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p121