In need of a sweet treat that I could prepare ahead and freeze, I streamlined and modified a recipe that I found on a website. The rounds are like mini baklavas were a big hit at the elegant tea I catered for a Christmas gathering several years ago.—Meta West, Abilene, Kansas
Recommended: 24 Low-Carb Christmas Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch sheet size)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, water and orange peel to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until thickened. Strain and discard peel; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, almonds, sugar, almond extract, cinnamon and cloves. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Repeat with two more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 1/3 cup nut mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush roll with butter. Trim edges. Cut into 16 slices, about 3/4 in. each. Place cut side down on a greased 15-in. x 10-in x 1-in. baking pan. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter and filling.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Gently turn cookies over; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks over waxed paper.
- Spoon half of the syrup over cookies. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining syrup. Cool completely. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Baklava Rounds in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p121