Baklava Pastry Rolls
My niece gave me this recipe for a chocolate twist on traditional baklava—it's a sweet way to end a Greek-inspired meal.—Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 6 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 packages (16 ounces each, 14x9-inch sheets) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar, water, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Let cool. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine walnuts and extract. Stir in 2 cups syrup. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with an additional phyllo sheet, brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Place about 2 tablespoons walnut mixture along one short side; fold sides of phyllo over filling. Roll up tightly, pressing edges to seal. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough, butter and walnut mixture. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; brush tops with butter. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For topping, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over medium heat. Add confectioners' sugar and milk; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Brush remaining syrup over warm pastries. Drizzle with chocolate sauce; sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 pastry: 345 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Baklava in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014