Baked Ziti Main Dish
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ziti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place ziti in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 248 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Jul 29, 2014
Since we're Catholic, we still observe "meatless" Fridays. With six children, coming up with such suppers was a challenge. This was one dish that everyone loved! The kids are all grown now, but this is still one of their favorite recipes! Easy to make, & delicious! We've been enjoying it since it was first published in 1993!
Mar 17, 2012
This dish is good, except I would tweak it a bit:First, diced tomatoes without any kind of "binder" just doesn't work in this dish. You need to add one 8-ounce can of tomato sauce, which will help thicken it a bit. Also, add about 1 tsp of sugar to offset the acid of the tomato sauce. Next, add 1 tsp of ground cumin, increase salt to 1 teaspoon, add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and increase oregano and basil to 1 1/2 teaspoons EACH. Let simmer for 20 minutes, at which time the sauce will be thickened. If you want to add meat to this dish, you can sautee 1 pound of ground beef with the onions and garlic. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Be sure to drain it before adding the sauce.
Jul 31, 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.