Baked Two-Cheese & Bacon Grits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Add water, stock, garlic powder and pepper to bacon drippings; bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add process cheese and butter; stir until melted. Stir in milk. Slowly stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon and shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake grits as directed, increasing time to 50-60 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 466 calories, 34g fat (18g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
May 31, 2018
This makes my Southern heart happy! I used yellow stone-ground quick cooking grits, and I did not have white Cheddar, so I used regular yellow sharp Cheddar. Delicious....perfect for any meal.
Apr 21, 2018
I'm a Northerner and have only fallen in love with grits because I worked in The South for a couple of years. I have never made them myself in any form, so thought I'd try this casserole partly to use up the leftover Velveeta/Ro-tel Queso Dip I had frozen away following the Super Bowl Game. Happened to be just the proper amount (I cut the recipe in 1/2 for an 8 x 8 pan). OMG I am not kidding, the finished product was to die for. I will definitely make them again...but always with the addition of some Ro-tel tomatoes.
Jun 25, 2017
Didn't change a thing. I will make this again it was very good even for my picky eater.
Jun 24, 2017
Haven't made this yet but plan to. Since I will neither purchase nor use consume Velveeta in anything, I guess I'll have to substitute an easy-melting cheese. Plus I'll be using regular grits, as I always do. Hope this turns out well!
Apr 29, 2017
Delicious!! Will make this again very soon!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.