Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
For a pretty and tasty side dish, try this combination of sweet potatoes and apples sprinkled with gingersnap crumbs. It’s one of my favorites to serve with turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into rings
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2/3 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 10 cookies)
- 1. Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 30 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Arrange half of the slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the apples and remaining sweet potato slices.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and apple juice to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over potatoes and apples. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs. Bake 15 minutes longer.
Nov 3, 2009
Easy. A hit at a dinner party. One layer of potato and one layer of apple was an adequate serving
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC