VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato pulp, chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45-50 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice; mix well. Simmer 5-6 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Stuff tomatoes and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over tomatoes. Add water to baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Stuffed Tomatoes in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p12
Reviews forBaked Stuffed Tomatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2016
"My husband and I liked it, my kids didn't care for it, but they ate it. They just didn't like the tomato they liked the stuffing. I will make again."