VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour until blended. Gradually add broth; stir in bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cut vegetables into 1-in. pieces; stir into stew. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Baked Stew with Root Vegetables in Taste of Home February/March 2010, p47
Reviews forBaked Stew with Root Vegetables
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2010
"Very good stew recipe. Flavour went through the vegetables nicely. Meat was very tender and tasty. I added a few potatoes and just used regular stewing beef."