Baked Stew with Root Vegetables
This hearty, savory stew will fill you up without emptying your wallet! —Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour until blended. Gradually add broth; stir in bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cut vegetables into 1-in. pieces; stir into stew. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 405 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Beef Stew with Root Vegetables in Taste of Home February/March 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.