- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced sourdough bread
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until blended. Stir in the spinach, cheese, bacon, onion, dill and garlic; set aside.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. slice off top of bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Fill bread shell with spinach dip; replace top. Place any dip that doesn't fit in shell in a greased baking dish. Wrap bread in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until dip is heated through. Cover and bake additional dip for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Open foil carefully. Serve dip warm with vegetables and reserved bread cubes. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews forBaked Spinach Dip in Bread
"Used ingredients as stated. Only change was that I baked it all in a dish and not the bread bowl. Turned out fantastic!!! Great as appetizer or snack for any occasion. Served with crackers or veggies."
"This dip was pretty good, but a lot of work."
"This dip is a HUGE hit at parties. The bread bowl really gives it flair."
"So Good Brought this to a Stanford Tailgate Huge hit. Different from the usual Spinach dip So GOOD"
"my husband asks me to make this all the time... People are always asking me to make it for get togethers"
"This is simply the best! I would recommend this to all."
"I just made this as an appetizer for a birthday party and it disappeared quicker than anything I've ever seen! It was delish!!"
"I have been making this recipe for many years and I love it. I do not always bake in the bread. Most of the time, I bake in a covered dish. It is comparable to one of my favorite restaurants' spinach dip. I serve it at our family Christmas gathering and it is always gone by the end of the evening. I also serve it with pita chips."
"made it when first appeared in taste of home been making it ever since- fantastic"