Baked Southern Grits
Karen Mau of Jacksboro, Tennessee turns a southern favorite into a tasty low-fat dish. Jalepeno peppers add a welcome kick while reduced-fat cheese creates a rich texture.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add grits; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites and eggs. Stir a small amount of hot grits into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the cheese, milk, jalapenos, garlic salt, pepper and half of the onions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining onions.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 158 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Southern Grits Casserole in Light & Tasty February/March 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.