Baked Sole and Spinach
This crunched-for-time casserole from Anna Fuery of Taftville, Connecticut can be fixed from start to finish in less than an hour. A cheesy pasta layer is topped with fish, spinach and almonds to make a meal-in-one that’s a nice change of pace from the ordinary.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 pounds sole fillets
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese, lemon juice, salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg and pepper, stirring until cheese is melted. Set aside half of the cheese sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drain noodles; add to the remaining sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with spinach, sole, reserved cheese sauce and remaining cheese; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.