Baked Pears with Bananas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 medium pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, optional
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons dried blueberries
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Place pears cut side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, cloves and liqueur if desired; pour over pears.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40 minutes, basting occasionally. Add bananas and blueberries; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until pears are tender. Garnish servings with yogurt, strawberries and walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 131 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Baked Pears with Bananas and Blueberries in Diabetes Fall 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.