A glaze of brown sugar, orange peel, whiskey and spices make this holiday ham memorable. If you like, replace the liquor with apple cider. —Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois
Recommended: 70 Impressive Christmas Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whiskey or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 130°.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, whiskey, orange peel, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Brush some of the sauce over ham. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 140°, brushing twice with sauce. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Ham in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p46