Baked Monterey Chicken with Roasted Veggies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place asparagus and red peppers in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; toss with oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast 5-8 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from dish.
- Season chicken with the remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; brown 3 chicken breasts on both sides. Transfer to the same baking dish. Repeat with an additional 1 tablespoon butter and remaining chicken. Top chicken with roasted vegetables.
- In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in broth, cream and wine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 581 calories, 40g fat (22g saturated fat), 200mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2018
Great recipe but I cut it down to 2 chicken breasts since there is only me to cook for and a 9 X 9 pan. And, I used my NuWave Oven which made it really easy to see how things were cooking. Cooking temp is the same but cooking time is a lot shorter.
Sep 15, 2017
This meal was super delicious! I made it last night for dinner and everyone in my family loved it. I'm always looking for different ways to cook chicken and the cream sauce was amazing. I used only chicken broth bc I didn't have white wine, and chose to use bow tie pasta bc that's what I had at home. I added a little season salt for taste on the chicken. I also added broccoli to the roasted veggies bc not everyone in my house likes asparagus. Will be making again for sure! It was good the next day for left over lunch as well.
Apr 20, 2017
My husband and son rate my suppers on a scale from 1-10 if I'm trying a new recipe. This one got a 10. So delicious. I served it with rice. Next time I think I'll serve it with pasta.
Aug 5, 2016
My whole family loved this recipe! Though some of my kids don't like red peppers they still ate up the chicken that had been cooked with the peppers and sauce on them. The only thing I did differently was to sprinkle the chicken breasts with some powdered garlic and cumin as I was browning them.
May 25, 2016
We thoroughly enjoyed this dish. I will definitely make it again. Asparagus ,peppers , and chicken breast were all on sale this week. I am thrilled when I am able to prepare such an elegant dish on my tight budget.
May 3, 2016
This was very good and the chicken was really moist. I thought the sauce needed something, next time I make it I will add garlic to sauce. I will make this again.
Apr 24, 2016
This is one of the best recipes I have ever tried! Definitely restaurant quality! Thank you for the recipe!
Mar 30, 2016
This was really good!! Will keep this one.
Mar 25, 2016
Insanely good! Used the wine. Perfect exactly as written.
Feb 22, 2016
I did as the other reviewers and made it exactly as the recipe is written and it was fabulous. Will be making this again and again.