Baked Mexican Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small curd 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper and tomatoes; heat through. Cover bottom and sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with tortillas.
- Pour beef mixture over tortillas; place a layer of tortillas over meat mixture and set aside. Combine cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and egg; pour over tortillas.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and olives diagonally across center of casserole.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 381 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Sep 26, 2017
My husband and I thought this was pretty yummy but the meat part was pretty dry. Maybe it's because we used ground turkey instead? Either way I think next time I might not drain the diced tomatoes quite as much or I'll add in some salsa. I really liked that the corn tortillas didn't get gummy like flour tortillas usually do. A decent recipe in need of a few tweaks to suit our tastes.
Jul 9, 2017
This is one of the first lasagnas I have fixed and it's one of the best. It's flavor and pretty presentation are tops!!
Jun 23, 2017
This was so easy to make. lots of flavor to boot.
Aug 25, 2016
This was a hit with everyone at our table and the 8 year old asked for seconds. I too made it with ricotta cheese.
May 12, 2015
This has been a favorite for years. This is really good and pretty too with lettuce, cheese , olives and green onions arranged diagonally on top . I like Ricotta cheese in place of the cottage cheese. A co worker who states this is one of her favorite recipes uses Corn chips in lieu of corn tortillas with good success. She states it is pretty enough for a company dinner.~Susan KieboamField Editor
Mar 1, 2015
i can't believe i finally refound this recipe. i used to make it all the time then lost it in a move and after searching through A LOT of mexican lasagna recipes, finally found it. LOVE this recipe.
Dec 22, 2014
I have had this recipe clipped out for 25 years. I started making it when I was 7 yrs old with my mom. It became a regular staple that I made on my night to cook dinner and has now become a family favorite with my husband and kids. In fact, 2 dishes of it is on our Christmas menu this year. I'd love to submit a picture of it, but am not sure how. I have the original clipping from 1989.
Apr 6, 2012
I got this recipe when it was first printed in 1989 in Country Woman magazine. I have made it hundreds of times over the years and get raves from everyone who trys it.
Aug 6, 2011
Great recipe! I used lb. ground turkey plus a can of pork and beans (drained) to add a little extra to the meat. Tasted great!
Jul 27, 2011
This recipe is SO good! I use ground turkey and low fat cottage cheese to reduce the calories even more! Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.