Baked Mexican Casserole
My husband and I both work full-time, so we have little time to cook. This dish is quick and delicious. We freeze leftovers as individual servings for lunch.—Jean Isken, Sussex, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 7 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Optional: Chopped fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes and taco seasoning; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Layer 4 tortillas, overlapping slightly, on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with meat mixture and remaining tortillas. combine the eggs, cottage cheese and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese; pour over tortillas.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 466 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1146mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Casserole in Casserole Cookbook
Dec 21, 2013
Really good! I doubled the recipe,and added a bit of jalapeno. Garnished with sliced avocado, yummy
Jul 31, 2011
Quick and easy to prepare ..it was a hit with my family!