Baked Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; stir in the salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted.
- Drain pasta; stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 428 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
May 28, 2014
Didn't love it. Maybe I needed to cook the sauce a little longer before combining the sauce with the noodles, but it was grainy and runny. I've made that sauce before as a gravy many a times, and it's never tasted grainy. Maybe it was the cheddar cheese? Who knows? But I'll keep looking for that Homemade Mac n' Cheese recipe that I remembered eating as a kid!
Mar 10, 2014
A good little mac & cheese recipe that lends itself to lots of variations. Really easy to mix up and great flavor.
Nov 20, 2011
It was okay. The flavor was kind of flat and leftovers were pretty sticky. I may make a variation of this to add more flavor.
Nov 14, 2011
May 10, 2011
Had a good texture and taste. Simple to make. Will definitely made this again.
Feb 4, 2011
I added some ham and topped it with bread crumbs and it turned out great!!! The kids love it!
Jan 14, 2011
I really liked this recipe. It is the fourth different mac n cheese recipe I have tried and this one is my favorite. I add 1 lb. of pasta and almost double the seasonings. I have also made it with more shredded cheese. I tried making the night before and re-heating, not so good. Best to make and serve immediately. To reheat leftovers, I add a little milk to it then heat in microwave.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.