- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1/3 cup butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in macaroni. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBaked Mac and Cheese
"Made at the last minute and had to leave out onions for one of the guests. It was awesome - "addicting" was the word that my daughter-in-law used. Definitely going in my "favorites" category. Thank You"
"A very good Mac and Cheese! I added a little freshly grated nutmeg and cayenne, as I always do when I make Mac and Cheese. I added crumbled bacon (that I had on hand from another recipe) , crushed potato chips, and more cheese to the topping."
"I have been looking for a great tasting mac and cheese recipe for a long time. This one surpasses all I have tried. I would definitely make it again. My husband loved it as well."
"I made this using gluten-free ingredients (noodles, flour, etc.) and it was amazing!!! Definitely a "bake and take" for church functions!! I love it."
"My husband and I both really loved this recipe! I cut it in half and added Velveeta cheese in as well. Next time I may even add leftover ham in too."
"Made this for a potluck, and I thought it tasted great, except for the onions. I would use about half the amount of onions next time."
"Made this yesterday for Thanksgiving. The only things I changed were that I added 2 cups of elbow noodles and 1 extra cup of cheese. It turned out AMAZING!! everyone loved it. It will definately be on the list for holiday side dishes from now on :)"
"It was okay. I didn't like the onions so much, and I think it needed a little more salt for my taste."
"It's not done baking yet, but I couldn't get enough of the cheese sauce. It has to be the best tasting cheese sauce I've ever made and it's very creamy. I kept eating the left over sauce in the pan before washing it. I changed some parts about this, I always use Dijon Mustard for cheese sauce. And I used Mild Cheddar instead of sharp, I think it allows me to use less salt. All I did was a dash of salt and pepper and it tasted perfect. That was ALOT of cheese! I didn't put all of it in the sauce, and instead sprinkled it on top with the bread crumbs. Also, I thought a whole stick of butter was a lot...So I didn't do the butter and bread crumb thing."