Baked Long Johns
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to eight 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter. Add milk; stir until smooth. Dip tops of doughnuts in glaze. Return to wire rack; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2015
Good alternative to fried long johns. They do take on more of a cake flavor. The chocolate glaze is good. I had mini loaf pans so it made 5 which is plenty. The chocolate glaze makes them rich.
Oct 13, 2014
I found them very disappointing. Dry and not much flavor. I really feel it is crucial to fry the dough in order to get the proper flavor and texture of a Long John. Ok if you prefer baked or can't have fried. I made a Maple frosting for half also and it still lacked that special flavor.
Apr 12, 2014
I piped vanilla custard into these doughnuts and they were SO good. Less healthy I know, but it made them the perfect amount of moist without being super oily like fried doughnuts.I didn't have those fancy loaf pans, so I just separated 2 standard loaf pans with aluminum foil. It worked perfectly and made the doughnuts really easy to get out of the pan.
Mar 16, 2013
I was disappointed with these long johns. As other reviewers noted, they were quite dense. I also found them to be rather dry. The chocolate glaze was the only part I enjoyed.
Feb 9, 2013
I agree with some of the other reviewers, they are denser than I exected but it was a nice surprise as I was expecting them to be more muffin-like in texture. The denser texture makes them seem more like a donut and the chocolate glaze on top makes them an extra special treat.
Sep 9, 2012
i liked the recipe but i'll agree they were denser than i expected. Husband didn't like the bittersweet chocolate so would have to try a sweeter chocolate next time.
Jun 12, 2012
I was extremely disappointed in this recipe - I found the Long Johns to be cakey and dense. While they tasted "OK", I definitely would NOT make them again.
Jun 12, 2012
This is a impressive 'baked doughnut' glazed in chocolate. Basic recipe serves 8 loaves. Mini-loaf baking pans are called for. Pretty. Tasty!!!
Jun 11, 2012
Sounds delicious, but question the "heathy" designation. Pretty much empty calories and lots of carbs.
Sep 18, 2011
My crew loved them. We scooped out the center with a pepper corer and filled them with light whipped cream.