Baked Lentils with Cheese
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-3/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and green pepper. Cover and bake 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 15g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Nov 30, 2012
I just wanted to add that if I make this recipe again, I would not add tomatoes and green peppers. Just my personal preference.
Nov 30, 2012
My grandkids ate this, but it did not have the "Wow" factor that would make them want seconds. I would make this again if I needed something inexpensive.
Oct 29, 2009
Makes a great stew and is also very good in a burrito with salsa & sour cream.