Baked Italian Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pound chicken breasts. Coat with flour; dip into eggs. Combine crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; pat onto both sides of chicken. Brush oil onto a foil-lined 13x9-in. baking pan; place chicken in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add seasonings. Pour over chicken. Drizzle with tomato sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 425 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 14, 2014
This was the first recipe I cooked as a newlywed & young mom back in 1997. I found it in the 1997 edition of Taste of Home Annual recipes. 17 years later, it's still a family favorite.
Oct 28, 2012
This was one of my favorite dishes as a child. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease which meant I could not eat this dish without making some changes. Luckily this recipe was easy to make gluten free. I altered by changing the all-purpose flour to corn starch (or GF Flour) and the dry bread crumbs to GF cracker (or bread) crumbs. With those two changes one of my favorite dished growing up was available to me again for consumption! YUM!
Feb 25, 2010
I've been making this for years. Everyone loves it.
Feb 24, 2009
My sometimes fussy family all loved this chicken! It was moist, tender and flavorful! I did need to bake my chicken breasts longer than directed in the recipe. They were close to a pound each, and I baked them for 30-35 minutes after breading them (before adding sauces and baking another 15 minutes.)