Baked Ham with Honey-Chipotle Glaze
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (8 to 10 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2-1/4 cups ginger ale
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, score surface of ham with 1/2-in.-deep cuts in a diamond pattern. Bake, uncovered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, honey, vinegar and ginger ale. Bring to a boil; cook until mixture is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 cup mixture for sauce; keep warm.
- Brush ham with some of the remaining glaze. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 140°, about 30 minutes, brushing twice with additional glaze. Serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked ham with 1 tablespoon sauce: 270 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1234mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein.
Jul 13, 2015
very good flavor I followed the recipe exactly but I agree with the crockpot version spring16 talks about. leave enough time to do out of the crock pot. I also paired it with chipotle sweet potatoes 2010 annual recipes pg 45 nice Sunday dinner.
Apr 24, 2014
Served this on Easter Sunday . Everyone loved it. They asked me to make it this way every year. The only thing I did differently was cook it in the slow cooker, 7 hours on low and then kept it on warm setting until we were ready to eat. I put 1/2 of the glaze on in the beginning of cook time and the other 1/2 halfway through cook time. I did reserve 1 cup of glaze to serve with ham as recipe suggested.
Jun 24, 2013
Made this for a big family function. What a hit! I made a double batch of the sauce which people wanted to eat by itself and we just kept talking of ALL the other foods it would be great on!! Yummy!
May 17, 2013
We just had this for the second time. We love the glaze! It is so easy to make and really adds a nice flavor to the ham.
Apr 10, 2013
Apr 2, 2013
A simple and delicious recipe! A go to for every holiday!Diane Higgins, Tampa, FL
Apr 2, 2013
Made this for Easter 2013 & it was delicious!! Would definitely make this again!
Apr 2, 2013
Made this for Easter 2013 & it was delicious!!
Mar 31, 2013
I made the glaze only today and served on the side of a honey baked ham, it had a great taste and everyone loved it. I doubled the number of peppers and removed some of the seeds while mincing but didn't get all. It was not too spicy for any of us. So easy to make but adds a special touch to your meal.
Mar 29, 2013
I am a vegetarian but I made this sauce to go over tofu and it was AMAZING. I also drizzled some over a round of goat cheese and it was fabulous. I use the canned chipotle in adobe sauce - ONLY USE ONE UNTIL YOU TASTE IT. I like spicy food and found that one was quite enough - you can always add more but you can ruin the recipe by adding too much. Thanks for posting this - I will be using this sauce on everything!!!!