- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, score surface of ham with 1/4-in.-deep cuts in a diamond pattern. Mix brown sugar, syrup and mustard; rub over ham and press into cuts. Bake, covered, until a thermometer reads 140°, 1-3/4 to 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch, sugar and water until smooth. Add cherries; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and extract. Serve warm with ham. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBaked Ham with Cherry Sauce
"I made this for Easter for something different. In the past, my mom's cooked the traditional ham with pineapple and marachino cherries. This was fantastic! Even while I was carving it, I couldn't keep the family from grabbing pieces and chowing down. Then, adding the cherry sauce just topped it all off. So delecious! I was told by my mom that she is never cooking a ham again!"
"This is the first dish I made my boyfriend and it became his favorite (even raved about it 2 days after the meal!)"
"I used 2 tbs amaretto & pureed the cherries.Got raves from the guests."
"This was very yummy. I can't wait to make this for company! The cherry sauce really made it special."
"We usually have our leg of lamb for Easter, but this year with the economy tried this ham recipe. Everyone loved it! The cherry sauce was wonderful too! A definate do again!"