Baked Ham with Cherry Sauce Recipe
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Place ham in a roasting pan. Score surface of ham with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes. Combine the brown sugar, syrup and mustard; rub over ham and press into cuts.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 140° and ham is heated through.
- 3. For cherry sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and extract. Serve with ham. Yield: 8-10 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 557 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1852mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Baked Ham with Cherry Sauce
"I made this for Easter for something different. In the past, my mom's cooked the traditional ham with pineapple and marachino cherries. This was fantastic! Even while I was carving it, I couldn't keep the family from grabbing pieces and chowing down. Then, adding the cherry sauce just topped it all off. So delecious! I was told by my mom that she is never cooking a ham again!"
"This is the first dish I made my boyfriend and it became his favorite (even raved about it 2 days after the meal!)"
"I used 2 tbs amaretto & pureed the cherries.Got raves from the guests."
"This was very yummy. I can't wait to make this for company! The cherry sauce really made it special."
"We usually have our leg of lamb for Easter, but this year with the economy tried this ham recipe. Everyone loved it! The cherry sauce was wonderful too! A definate do again!"