Baked Ginger Pudding
This recipe comes from a 1900 cookbook, although I've made some adjustments to suit today's ingredients and cooking methods. Everyone loves thsi timeless soft baked pudding! —Jennifer Musgrove, Wheatland, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a saucepan, heat 3 cups milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and remaining cold milk; gradually add to heated milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in the molasses, butter, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in the eggs.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until center is almost set. Let stand for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream if desired.