Baked Ginger Pears
These dressed-up canned pears are a nice alternative to baked apples. Sweetened with a little brown sugar and sprinkled with pecans and ginger, they're wonderful served warm or cold, notes Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pear halves in juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- Drain pears, reserving juice; set aside eight pear halves and 1/4 cup juice (save remaining pears and juice for another use).
- Arrange pear halves cut side up in an ungreased 5-cup baking dish. Combine the brown sugar, pecans, lemon juice and ginger; sprinkle over pears.
- Spoon reserved pear juice around pears. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with cookie crumbs.