Baked Ginger Pears
These dressed-up canned pears are a nice alternative to baked apples. Sweetened with a little brown sugar and sprinkled with pecans and ginger, they're wonderful served warm or cold, notes Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pear halves in juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- Drain pears, reserving juice; set aside eight pear halves and 1/4 cup juice (save remaining pears and juice for another use).
- Arrange pear halves cut side up in an ungreased 5-cup baking dish. Combine the brown sugar, pecans, lemon juice and ginger; sprinkle over pears.
- Spoon reserved pear juice around pears. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with cookie crumbs.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 114 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Baked Ginger Pears in Light & Tasty February/March 2003