Baked French Toast with Home Style Syrup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1-1/4 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Add bread and soak for 5 minutes, turning once to coat. Coat each slice with cornflake crumbs and place on a well-greased baking sheet. Dot each slice with butter. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- For syrup, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in evaporated milk and flavorings.
- Serve over warm French toast.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 416 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 20, 2011
Easy, and delicious. I used cinnabon bread. Liked by all.
Feb 8, 2011
Everyone loved it and asked for it again! With my big family, that is rare!
Dec 25, 2007
I made this for our families Christmas Eve gathering. All wanted the recipe when they saw how easy it was. Tasted great!!!