- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster or mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- Basil sprigs, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and basil.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce into four greased 6-oz. custard cups. Gently bread an egg into the center of each cup. Spoon the remaining sauce over eggs. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Garnish with basil sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBaked Eggs with Basil Sauce
"I have been making this dish for a long time when it first published in quick Cooking Magazine. I lost my issue and did a search on the site and found it without any problem. I was very happy! Put it into my recipe box. This one is always a winner!"