- 2 small eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the tomatoes, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic, and remaining salt and pepper in remaining oil. Add spinach; stir until wilted. Combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and egg; stir into tomato mixture.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with tomato mixture and pasta sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBaked Eggplant Italiano
"I love this recipe! My teenage children love it as well. It has great flavor....it makes regular lasagna seem heavy"
"Excellent! First time I ever cooked eggplant and it was great. Great way to get veggies in and a benefit it was low in calories."