- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 cups whole cranberries
- Orange zest strips and whipped cream, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, cream, melted butter, vanilla and egg yolks until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, orange zest, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and salt. Add chopped cranberries; toss to coat. Gradually add to sugar mixture, mixing well. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Add remaining cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for topping, combine sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; cook 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- When pudding tests done, place springform pan in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spoon cranberry mixture over top. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Cool pudding on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool at least 1 hour before serving.
- If made ahead, pudding can be warmed in a 350° oven for 10 minutes. If desired, top with orange zest and serve with whipped cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forBaked Cranberry Pudding
"This is good"
"Kind of a lot of effort and a big producer of dirty dishes, this is nonetheless very tasty. The texture ends up being a very moist, dense cake packed with cranberries."