Baked Cranberry Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs and soup mix. Add beef and beaten eggs; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls. Arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over uncooked meatballs.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour. Uncover; bake 20-30 minutes longer or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 72 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 4, 2018
My family (including 2 kids) enjoyed this, but next time I think I'll try rice or just bake the meatballs in the sauce. Although we do like sauerkraut, and the contrast of sweet and sour was ok, it wasn't the best part of the recipe. But this will definitely be a keeper otherwise!
Nov 6, 2015
I took this recipe to a potluck and, while I wasn't overly impressed with the taste, others claimed these to be the best meatballs ever! Four stars for that!
Aug 25, 2015
WOW! What a fabulous flavor punch. I cut the recipe in half (cooking for only 2) but accidentally used full amount of water. No worries - simply cooked uncovered for 1.5 hrs, stirring occasionally and both the meat and sauce came out perfectly. We ate them as sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls. I didn't share the recipe ahead of time with my hubby because I wanted him to judge it on taste alone. He gave it 2 big thumbs up - zingy, saucy, sweet, tangy. What more could you ask for? Moving this from the "Gotta Try" to "I'ts a Keeper" board on Pinterest!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.