Baked Cornmeal Dumplings
These big, golden cornmeal dumplings are delicious with stew or any type of dish with gravy.—Grace Yaskovic, Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Bring broth to a boil; carefully transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Drop batter in six mounds onto broth.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking). Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Baked Cornmeal Dumplings in Taste of Home October/November 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.