Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and shortening; stir for 1 minute. Add eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 450° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Serve immediately.
1 each: 190 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.