Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and shortening; stir for 1 minute. Add eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 450° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 190 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2012
Very easy, and yummy.
Jan 22, 2011
For Antoinette Edmonds, you can substitute 1 cup shortening for 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter. Hope this helped you.
Jan 22, 2011
When a recipe calls for 'shortening', does it really have to be Crisco Lard? Can an oil be substituted instead, and if so, how much,
Nov 30, 2009
Tried these yesterday, and they were great. Not a real sweet bread, but the topping adds the sweetness kick they needed. Best the same day they are made. Will definitely keep as a good breakfast bread
May 6, 2009
I had this recipe years ago and lost it! So glad to find it again.
Mar 9, 2009
I will be very interested in how your batch comes out! I am looking for good recipes that will be served as a -"coffee and" before a morning country music show
Oct 8, 2008
I have a batch of these going right now; I was very interested in making some kind of doughnut that did not have to be fried.I found that I needed to an more flour than recommended in the recipe to get a workable dough.At this moment my doughnuts are in the rising stage. I am really looking forward to sampling this treat and sharing it with my family!