Baked Chicken Sandwiches with Mushroom Sauce
These baked sandwiches have been a tried-and-true brunch and luncheon dish at our house. No matter how many times I serve them, they always prompt recipe requests.More Mushroom Condiments »
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 16 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, arrange eight slices of bread. Place a slice of cheese on each; top with chicken and another slice of bread. Beat eggs, milk and pepper; pour over the sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over sandwiches. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat through but do not boil. Serve with sandwiches.