Baked Chicken Sandwiches with Mushroom Sauce
These baked sandwiches have been a tried-and-true brunch and luncheon dish at our house. No matter how many times I serve them, they always prompt recipe requests.More Mushroom Condiments »
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 16 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, arrange eight slices of bread. Place a slice of cheese on each; top with chicken and another slice of bread. Beat eggs, milk and pepper; pour over the sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over sandwiches. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat through but do not boil. Serve with sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 499 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 923mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Baked Chicken Sandwiches with Mushroom Sauce in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.