- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat. In a skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle reserved bread crumbs over zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBaked Chicken and Zucchini
"Delicious way to use up my garden zucchini!"
"Good chicken. My zucchini ended up too soggy but the flavor of the entire dish was good!"
"Excellent!!! I added slices of onion, mushrooms, and lots of fresh garlic to the zucchini. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Love,love,love this recipe! I've been making it since it was first published-one of my familys favorites."
"Tasty, excellent flavor! Good combination of veggies."
"My husband loved this recipe. It was a great dinner to make when zucchini is plentiful."
"Out of this world delicious!"