Baked Cheesy Mostaccioli
My friends and family often request this family favorite. Because the sauce works well with several Italian meals, I make a large batch to use for weekday dinners or last-minute company. —Dayna Brohm, Gold Canyon, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups uncooked mostaccioli
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, sausage, onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese and mostaccioli. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.