Cathy Dwyer came across this squash casserole years ago. The recipe pairs perfectly with pork or chicken, so she serves it often.—Cathy Dwyer, Freedom, New Hampshire
Recommended: 60 Sneaky Ways to Eat More Vegetables
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced tart apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 cup frosted cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute apples and sugar in 1 tablespoon butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine squash, brown sugar, salt, pepper and remaining butter; spoon over apples. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Casserole in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p57