Baked Butternut Squash Casserole
Cathy Dwyer came across this squash casserole years ago. The recipe pairs perfectly with pork or chicken, so she serves it often.—Cathy Dwyer, Freedom, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced tart apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 cup frosted cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute apples and sugar in 1 tablespoon butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine squash, brown sugar, salt, pepper and remaining butter; spoon over apples. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 230 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Casserole in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009