Black-eyed peas are a nice change of pace in this cheesy casserole. Use whatever type of enchilada sauce you prefer...or try a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.—Janelle Buschman, Waka, Texas
Recommended: Top 10 Mexican Dinner Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add peas, soup and enchilada sauce; mix well.
- Sprinkle tortilla chips in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Black-Eyed Peas in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p207