- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, seasonings and rice.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBaked Beefy Spanish Rice
"Very good. Followed recipe but found it way too salty. Will reduce or eliminate the salt next time and keep the garlic and celery salts."
"My family loves this recipe! I have even taken this dish to work and had coworkers ask me for the recipe. What a great dish."
"This was super good, even though I ran short of some of the ingredients! I used two cans of diced tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes, more ground beef than the recipe called for, and used mozzarella cheese, because it's what I had on hand! I also omitted the salt. Next time I will hope to try with cheddar cheese; I'm sure it will be just as good if not better! I might have added some more rice too, to balance out the amount of ground beef. I served with corn bread and peas, and it was very good. I will definitely be making this one again!"