- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 12 taco shells
- Chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and 1 can of undrained tomatoes; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, remaining can of undrained tomatoes and, if desired, pepper sauce. Spread onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Stand taco shells upright over bean mixture. Fill each with 1 tablespoon cheese and about 1/3 cup beef mixture. Bake, covered, 15 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and shells are lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBaked Beef Tacos
"Very good. Didn't care for the soggy bottom. Think I'll try somehow to set the shells on a rack insert or crumbled foil to keep them off the bottom. I used ground turkey and low fat cheese."
"These were absolutely delicious and a must-have in my recipe collection for an encore performance! I used extra lean ground turkey and reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese and they were phenomenal!!! The leftovers were great and heated up wonderfully. One of my favorite TOH recipes to date, and I've been a subscriber since 1998."
"Excellent. Did not change a thing."
"Tasted good but was too mushy on the bottom."
"My family really enjoyed this. It had a lot of great flavor and was fairly inexpensive to make. Yes the bottom of the tacos stayed soft bc they were standing in the refried bean mix but the that didn't bother us."
"The tomato-bean combination is tasty and much better than plain refried beans. I'm not sure I liked the soft part at the bottom, but my family thought it was very good. It just needs some lettuce on the top after leaving the oven."