- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, cut up
- 6 carrots, cut into strips
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 cup water
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Spoon into greased 3-qt. casserole. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBaked Beef Stew
"I noticed the recipe had NO spices listed. I did some tweeking to give it more flavor by adding salt and pepper, garlic, Fine Herbs seasoning, catsup, and worcestershire sauce. I used beef broth instead of water, and Wondra flour instead of tapioca. I also added 1 turnip, 1 green pepper, and 3 parsnips because that is what I use in a stovetop version of mine. I checked it after 2 hours and added some more beef broth, and 10 minutes before the end of baking, I sprinkled in the Wondra flour. After the tweeking it was very good and I will make it again."
"oh so good! I didn't have tapioca on hand so just used flour - it was great."
"Meat is super tender, the gravy is the perfect consistency, this is really good. I added some sliced cremini mushrooms and used a can of fire-roasted tomatoes for the diced tomatoes, and it is just tasty!"
"Oh is this good on a cold school night! Thank you!"
"sodium looks a little high!"
"can you use corn starch in place of tapioca"